I have started working on a solution to automate video systems such as Blackmagic Design equipment (ATEM, Hyperdeck, VideoHub), CasparCG, DMX and Midi.
Video demo of progress to-date.
Inspired by Just Macros which I have used a few times but found a bit frustrating only having environment variables to pass data between scripts, poor script editor (no intelli-sense/auto completion) and no useful debugging info.
In comparison, PowerShell ISE provides the following out-of-the-box capabilities:
- Included with Windows 7,8 & 10
- Rich extensible IDE
- Built in debugger
- Selective Execution (highlight part of script and press F8 to run)
- Scripting language built on .Net framework
- Scripts can be stored on OneDrive and shared across machines
- noun/verb based command-lets (cmdlets)
- Modules containing reusable cmdlets can be created from scripts
- Create functions and commands using any .Net language
- Global Hash Tables (which can store any data type including .net objects)
- Launch scripts as background jobs (even on remote computers)
I’ll write more on how to setup ISE and customizing it for video workflow automation soon.